Utterly Brilliant Thoughts: A Few of My Favorite Things
9.19.2006
A Few of My Favorite Things

BOOKS
Thanks to Miss Zoot (who also happens to be the designer of this shiny new blog template) for alerting me that September 23-30 is Banned Books Week. Did you even know there was such a thing? Me neither. And I was truly astonished - wait, what's stronger than astonished? alarmed? stunned? appalled? - when I read the list of the 100 Most Challenged Books. I've read nearly half of the books on this list, liked some, hated some, loved many. Regardless of my feeling on any of these books, it isn't my place to decide which books are suitable for public consumption. What's that quote? "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Can you imagine missing out on the Harry Potter series or To Kill a Mockingbird just because someone thought that they promoted the occult or racism? If you don't want your kid reading certain books, that is certainly your prerogative. But don't tell me what my (future) kid can read or try to restrict access to the rest of us. As far as I'm concerned, anything that will get a kid to read is a good thing, even if it's the Captain Underpants or Goosebumps series. Unless, of course, you would rather let your child play video games, surf the 'web or watch television. No foul language, violence, racism, misogynism, sexuality or "mature content" there.

CATS
Last Friday, Chris took Cat to Animal Rescue League in Pittsburgh. Here she is in the car. She did eventually emerge from her hiding place & spent the rest of the ride curled up on his lap. He's obviously much stronger than I am, because there is no way I could have handed her over after that. Cat is now ready to be adopted & can be seen here. They named her Dahlia, which was on my short list of names for her. Yeah, I know, don't name the kitty. Thank God ARL took her, because I was about one kitty headbutt away from keeping her. Since Lemieux recently developed an aversion to other felines, complete with hissing, growling & throwing himself at the door, I can only imagine how much fun that would have been. Truthfully, I am completely misrepresenting it when I call it "hissing". We refer to it as snorking. There's really no way to describe it. If I ever get it on video, I will absolutely share it with all of you. It is quite the experience.


STEELERS
What in the name of all that is holy was that last night? What a train wreck. I refuse to dwell on it, but I will mention that I said back in August that 1st round draft pick Santonio Holmes was a mistake & I'm sorry to say I haven't seen anything yet to make me change my opinion. Keeping my fingers crossed for Sunday against the Bengals . . .

Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Stupid steelers cost me the week with that Jacksonville disaster!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sure is a cute kitty. your husband must be a wonderfully amazing person to have had to withstand all of that torture taking that poor thing to the shelter. you should reward him with a hug and a kiss for his strength in the face of kitty cuteness.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer