Utterly Brilliant Thoughts: All About Me
8.01.2006
All About Me
Today*, I'm going to be completely shallow & emulate a boy I went out with once (actually, several boys, because they're so often quite similar, aren't they?) & just talk about me.

100 (-ish) Fascinating** Facts About Me

  • My name is Shawnee.
  • Yes, like the Indian tribe.
  • No, I am not Native American.
  • That some people call me Shawn is source of dismay to my aunt Dee Dee.
  • No one knows why.
  • I am hopelessly & completely in love with my husband.
  • He is brilliant, talented, charming, delicious, kind, funny & wonderful.
  • But I can still beat him at Trivial Pursuit, because I am the Queen of Trivial Knowledge.
  • I think I fell in love with him the first time he beat me at Trivial Pursuit.
  • We are ridiculously amused by our two cats.
  • Bijou is a petite, elegant Russian blue that reluctantly allows us to occupy her space.
  • Lemieux is an ever-so-slightly overweight (read: 22 lbs. & growing) tuxedo cat who hates to be alone & snores when he sleeps.
  • Loudly.
  • I treasure my friends & family.
  • Although some of them are kind of nuts.
  • Well, all of them are, just in varying degrees.
  • I wish my best friend didn’t live so far away.
  • My mom is one of my best friends.
  • I love champagne.
  • Bellinis are even better.
  • I love staying up late & sleeping in.
  • Pink pajamas make me happy.
  • I love flowers, especially peonies & lilies.
  • Pink flowers are my favorite.
  • Pink is not my favorite color.
  • I don’t really have a favorite color.
  • I love going out to eat.
  • Crab cakes, Japanese steakhouses & pasta carbonara are my current obsessions.
  • I love when Chris cooks for me.
  • I love Mom's spaghetti sauce & Char’s mashed potatoes.
  • Beef should only be cooked rare.
  • Peppers & pineapple can ruin a perfectly good pizza.
  • I think Handel’s homemade chocolate pecan ice cream can make almost anything better.
  • Ditto grilled cheese sandwiches.
  • I could never follow a low-carb diet.
  • I was severely allergic to lactose for over 2 years. I still have some sensitivity to it.
  • I love going to the zoo.
  • I love football & hockey, like baseball, can't understand the appeal of basketball.
  • I was at the Steelers' Super Bowl victory parade in 2006.
  • Sidney Crosby is NOT the new Mario Lemieux.
  • I don’t swim but I love, love, LOVE the beach.
  • I hate being cold.
  • I am often cold, even when it’s 80 degrees outside.
  • I love a really good sale.
  • I am a girlie girl.
  • I have virtually no athletic ability.
  • I have insane amounts of hair & beauty products.
  • I am a sucker for clever packaging, even if the product is complete crap.
  • I love to read & will read anything.
  • I especially love To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee), The Sun Also Rises (Ernest Hemingway), In Cold Blood (Truman Capote), Anne Tyler, Agatha Christie mysteries, the Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke, the Sam Adams series by Sarah Shankman & the Straight Dope series by Cecil Adams.
  • My houseplants are dying at an alarming rate.
  • Which indicates that I am not responsible enough to have children yet.
  • Although a kid would probably speak up if I forgot to give it food or water for, oh let’s say, 2 months.
  • My nieces (all 9 of them, plus 4 nephews!) make me smile.
  • Eddie Izzard & Get Fuzzy make me laugh.
  • Selfishness, incompetence, bigotry & disloyalty make me want to scream.
  • The news makes me sad.
  • I rarely cry, although Steel Magnolias gets me every time.
  • I watch very little television, but Coupling, Absolutely Fabulous & Creature Comforts on the BBC are my favorites. The only show I watch every week is ER. I deeply miss West Wing.
  • I love movies.
  • Old movies are better. Some Like It Hot, Gone With the Wind, Rear Window, Psycho, The Wizard of Oz, Auntie Mame, His Girl Friday & Casablanca would be on my Top 20 list.
  • Best in Show, Love Actually, Clue, Practical Magic & The Godfather would also be on that list.
  • Some Like It Hot has the best last line in a movie, ever.
  • The last scene in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) freaks me out like nothing else.
  • I have to eat popcorn or candy or something while watching a movie.
  • Growing up is not as much fun as I thought it would be.
  • The only consolation is that you can have your dessert first if you want to.
  • I'm a big fan of dessert, but that's not really sufficient, is it?
  • I have no patience with badly behaved children.
  • Even less for badly behaved adults.
  • Patience isn’t really one of my virtues to begin with.
  • I am easily irritated.
  • I am mystified by the apparent lack of even the most basic manners in today's society.
  • I also don’t understand when proper grammar & spelling became unnecessary.
  • I think Wal-Mart is the source of all evil.
  • But I still shop at Sam’s Club.
  • I need to work on consistency.
  • I hate to clean.
  • I hate it more when my house is messy.
  • I am usually very organized.
  • I am terrible with names.
  • I once dated a boy for several weeks without knowing his name. I finally just had to stop seeing him.
  • His dog’s name was Buddy.
  • Someday, I would like to have a Norwegian wolfhound or a German shepherd.
  • I speak French.
  • I would like to be fluent in French & Italian.
  • I still don’t understand the point of algebra, geometry or calculus. (Sorry, Mary!)
  • I scored 34 on my ACT test & 1494 on my SAT test.
  • Yet I barely passed my weather class in college. I'm sure the fact that I read Cosmo during the lectures had nothing to do with it.
  • I am a Phi Mu alumna.
  • I don’t like talking on the phone & rarely answer it at home.
  • I don’t like to exercise.
  • I am not what you (or anyone else) would call “outdoorsy”.
  • Nature is highly overrated.
  • If someone tells you I am “camping”, call the police – I will have been kidnapped.
  • My husband loves camping.
  • He also loves fishing, hunting & golf.
  • He hates to shop. Especially with me.
  • We get along anyway.
  • He is almost always willing to kill the big, crunchy bugs for me.
  • I have no problem killing (non-crunchy) spiders now that I’ve had a mouse in my house.
  • I didn’t think I was scared of mice until Bijou nearly dropped one on my head.
  • A mouse committed suicide in Lemieux’s mouth last year. (Long story.)
  • My life is not exciting, but it is often amusing.

* Isn't it funny how I imply that I'm only going to be shallow TODAY? Like this is something that's completely out of the ordinary. I crack myself up.


** Perhaps not so much "fascinating" as "pointless" and "lengthy". Enjoy!

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer