Utterly Brilliant Thoughts: Forget the Beer, It's Time for Bourbon
3.08.2007
Forget the Beer, It's Time for Bourbon
Inspired by Stacy (why didn't someone tell me about the wonder & joy that is Jurgen Nation?) & the utter chaos that is my life right now, I've decided to share the most wonderful thing in the world* with you: my recipe for Bourbon Slush. You're welcome.

Bourbon Slush

2 cups of freshly brewed, strong tea
1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate
1 (12 ounce) can frozen lemonade concentrate
1 .5 cups white sugar
7 cups water
3-ish cups bourbon whiskey (3 cups, 5 cups, who's counting?)
7-Up
grenadine or maraschino cherry juice, to taste

In a large, freezer-safe container, mix together the tea, juice & lemonade concentrates, sugar, water & whiskey. Freeze.

(This is the hard part. It will take at least 24 hours to freeze. And if you are like me, you have absolutely no patience & will not want to wait an entire day for your slush. (You lush.) I have learned two things. One: it is wise to always have slush made so you never have to wait. Two: if for some reason you find yourself sans slush because of all the things going on in your life that are requiring you to drink copious amounts of bourbon in the first place, it helps to distract yourself with chocolate or George Clooney or something equally delicious.)

Once the mixture is frozen, use a metal spoon to break up the block o' bourbon into slush. Some people would advise you to wait 10 minutes or so to allow it to thaw a bit. These people obviously have more patience than I do because hello! I've already waited at least 24 hours, I'm not made of stone! Besides, I think of that little bit of extra effort as exercise, which I'm sure we could all use considering the massive amounts of bourbon we are about to consume. So anyway, then fill your glass about three-quarters of the way with slush, add grenadine to taste & top with 7-Up. Garnish with a cherry. VoilĂ ! Welcome to Bourbon Heaven!

*Except for maybe Chocolate Therapy. And sleep. And food you neither have to cook or unwrap. And sitting on the couch doing absolutely nothing. And never having to paint ever, ever again. So, okay, maybe Bourbon Slush isn't THE most wonderful thing (and, to be fair, those other things may just be my own personal cravings), but it' s pretty damn good. Now, do I distract myself with truffles or The Clooney?

Labels: ,



9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh! I'm so glad to find you! I've subscribed via reader and can't wait to get to "know" you better. Hooray for new friends! Not only for new friends, but for MAKING new friends through talking about shopping, beauty and liquor. Now that's a lasting friendship. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I'm here for, introducing fabulous people to fabulous people. :)

Blogger Shawnee said...

Not to mention introducing fabulous people to fabulous products!

Blogger Judy said...

Yes, indeed, Shawnee.. you ARE brilliant... and that's a brilliant recipe. Can't wait to try it!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds FABULOUS! Once it gets just a little warmer (sounds like a warm weather drink to me), I'm going to mix up a batch of this!

Blogger Mrs. T said...

I LOVE bourbon slush- thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it.

Blogger metalia said...

SHAWNEE! I just made this last week; Oh my GOD, it is fabulous. I'm making it again this weekend (for it is awesome), and I had to thank you. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is Chocolate Therapy? :D
I bought a box of pralines yesterday http://www.bouchard.be/en/pralines :) , and I didn't consider it as therapy. :D

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer